I think there’ll only be 2 parts to my attempt at John Waterhouse’s Veronica ‘cos I’m getting through it quite quickly. Just to recap, I’m trying to do this painting in colour as there seems to be no known colour reproduction of it. I thought it would be a bit more of a challenge. I’m also doing it the same size as the original which is 55 x 45 cm.

Firstly, I kinda messed up when I primed the canvas because I made the primer too green. I didn’t think it would be that much of a problem until I applied the flesh colour to her face. It turned out much redder than I expected. I tried the same colour on a white piece of canvas and it looked how I wanted so, the green primer made a huge difference. Live and learn. I just had to lighten up the colour that I’d already applied and it looked ok in the end.

Veronica has a curious bottom lip which has no real definition because the tone of it is similar to the tone of the flesh. What I’ve done doesn’t look too bad.

All that I’ve done is not entirely finished as I’ve seen a few bits that need touching up and seeing it here in photograph form I can see even more. But I’ll get there.

I’m away later this week ‘cos I’m off to see the Waterhouse exhibiton in London (can’t wait, even though I’ve seen it in Groningen) so I’m not sure when my next post will be.

Until next time,

Jimbob